Monday, September 19, 2005

Teachers (and Other Mortals') Personalities:Are you a one, a two or a three?





I have always thought there are two types of people. Those who are part of the problem and those who are part of the solution. Recently while driving home from work (passing by Kodiang Hill) and reflecting on a rather interesting exchange with my students, it dawned on me that I had it all wrong. I realized that in fact there are three types of people: those that make things happen, those that let things happen and those that keep things from happening.
Before I continue, it must be made clear that these ideas are purely my own and are not supported by any research studies or analysis of any type. I'm too busy trying to keep up with my grading, comments, meetings and curriculum planning to have anytime to read more than the side of the cereal box. No, these ideas are based purely on my brief 45 years, 19 of which I have been teaching.
From the time a person begins to recognize people they also classify them. It makes things easier. The first classifications are based on those that provide food, warmth and love and those that do not. As people become older and more selective, they add to their classifications friend and foe. These classifications will serve them until they are 'out in the real world' or 'independent'. It is at this point the three classifications come into play.
Classification 1: Those that make things happen. These are people who act as human catalysts. They are not satisfied with the status quo and will either start something or contribute to something already underway. As teachers, they are the colleagues always looking for a better way, a different way or something new. As students, they are the organizers. These are not just the students with great ideas but also those who are first to arrive at a dance to set up and the last to leave to clean up.
Classification 2: Those that let things happen. These are the 'lurkers' of life. These people are content with the status quo and happy to 'go with the flow'. As teachers, they are the colleagues that just get on with it. They do their jobs, meet their deadlines, attend the meetings and try not to make waves. As students, these are the quiet ones who are reluctant to raise their hands but always seem to get their work done on time. They are happy to attend the dances and even have fun but would not wish to set up before or clean up after.
Classification 3: Those that keep things from happening. These are the people who may or may not be content with the status quo but are reluctant to try and change it. As teachers, they are the colleagues that can always be counted on to always play the 'Devil's Advocate'. As students, they can be counted on to sabatage initiative, whine and complain. These are the students who would openly boycot a dance rather than be seen supporting a school function.
I believe that every person maintains all three of these characteristics. It is only when faced with external stimuli that the stronger of them is displayed. It may well be that different situations bring forth different responses. However, if we look around us, whether it be in the a staff meeting, a student assembly or a traffic jam, these three pretty much sum things up.
Although I have presented these in positive, neutral and negative tones, it is possible that there are times that people with classification 3 personalities affect more positive outcomes than classification 1. I have asked my students to look at themselves and determine what they are. I have also invited them to determine what they think I am. Finally, I have asked that we meet again in 10-15 years and see if we were right.

No comments: