Monday, February 02, 2009

Silver gelatin

Nikon D80 Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 Macro

This year seems a bit funny with my photographic interest. When I was tidying up my three layers drybox, I discovered so many camera bodies and quite a number of film SLRs as well (Canon AV-1, Canon AE-1, Olympus OM-1N, Nikon FE2, Nikon F301, Nikon F50 and a few excellent primes with f/1.4). Having owned and extensively used Nikon D50, D40 and D80 with arrays of optics and accessories, I was thinking if I am actually an artist or just computer operators. Chimping with the LCDs and post processing with Photoshop, Lightroom etc., do not make me an artist.

Last week, I loaded my FE2 with TX (silver gelatin). Suddenly I am like a young boy again, toying with the camera that has been around my neck since the late 70s. So easy with no complication whatsoever. Yes its not as convenient, but I am now the artist, not the computer operator anymore. I have to consider technique and light again and use my judgment. I started using my tripod more with the cable release attached. A bit troublesome, but discreetly interesting, cheap and very satisfying. Tomorrow, I'll get my negs developed at Dragon. If things turned out good, I'll use my cheap scanner and save some prints for the family album. Less money spent and hopefully no redundancy.

2 comments:

kunadzri said...

My salam 2u bro Jusni. Just dropping by to find some peace of mind....

Anonymous said...

salam..saye teramatlah berminat utk mendalami dis field..i mean dis photography things ..tp saye tau minat je x ckup..n now im trying to develope the skills..de gak nk g kursus photography tp sbb skang tgh kj n it cost too much so i end up to learn bout dis slowly..huhu..de gk study sket2 bout DSLR camera tp cm x yakin lg utk bli..hehe..nk mintk tlg bg komen n tunjuk aja sket leh ke.thz..my email @ YM : syafarina8teoh@yahoo.com