Monday, March 26, 2007

Water Blues!


The theme of the World Day for Water, 22 March 2007: “Coping with water scarcity”. Here in Kodiang and the vicinity, the water is scarce indeed – in fact it has been very scarce since the morning of 24th. This definitely helps with the campaign and undoubtedly helps better appreciation of water scarceness among the people living in the area.

After an exhausting Saturday morning, the only thing on my mind was a cool shower. Unfortunately, the faucet produces nothing but a few futile squeaks. Furious, I was looking for an explanation. To my bewilderment. “But didn't I know,” - , “this isn't a problem with the house. There are water problems in the entire region.” I sighed, wondering how am I going to flush the toilet.


Our water generally comes straight out of our taps. I turned a tap on and get as much water as I like. Water is that dull stuff that I would generally heat up to make more interesting drinks like tea or coffee, or use as a base ingredient for cordials for the kids. Water is that dull stuff I boil vegetables in or use, heated again, to wash up dishes or clothes. It is that stuff I bathe in every morning. Something I don't even really think about.

And now.... I am thinking about it!

No comments: