Friday, February 23, 2007

I'm alive!


Today, I'm in the midst my fifth decade and I have all my teeth except one. When I laugh, the lines on my face add character and that character is not Richard Gere’s. I have an ass that gravity has not pulled below the back of my knees. Half a breath is all it takes to hold in my stomach. And though my hair is slowly eroding, I can still use my muscular chest as a distraction.

Today, I have a job that I do well and I don't hate. Sometimes, there are people who make it unpleasant, but by and large, that is infrequent and quickly over. When I get home from work, I can forget totally about it.

Today I still have my mother, a grandfather and two grandmothers who are elderly but young enough to fret about being called "seniors." When I visit them, they are healthy enough to complain of their various little ailments, which I commiserate with them about. They have not resigned themselves to the inevitable decline, but still harbour hope.

Today I am in love. I am in love with my wife, my life and my family around me.

Today, I am writing this post, which my friends around the world will be reading.

Today I am alive, right now, key by key, letter by letter. These are my marks in the world. This is my pee in the alley behind the dumpster, my scrawl in a toilet wall: FOR A GOOD TIME CALL ME AT 773-555-1212.

You, who are me tomorrow, a week or twenty years from now--I don't know where you are, whether you're lonely, unemployed or sick in bed, or whatever--there were days when you were happy, this being one of them.

Remember that there was a day like today.

1 comment:

anie said...

vey nice. its remind me to work harder.