Wednesday, December 28, 2005

I hate meetings

Meetings – in the corporate world – are inefficient, intrusive, ego-tripping power grabs. Politicians love meetings. Lonely people love meetings. Get-a-Life types love meetings. Corporate brownnosers love meetings. I qualify as neither of the above. For every ten meetings I get sucked into, one is necessary. Meetings in the workplace are usually initiated by people who have nothing better to do with their time – people who demand to be the bull’s-eye of attention.

My schedule in life is packed, every day, and always, some yahoo with too much time on his hands sends me persistent meeting invitations. That gets me in hot water. Oh how I hate meetings.

At work, I wish I can duck all the meetings I can, for this reason: I am anal about getting work done, and for each minute or each hour I spend in a useless meeting, that's one minute or one hour where my very necessary work doesn't get done. I attend meetings – all the time – wherein people gab for the sake of gabbing, and demand center stage for the sake of attention and ego trippin'. I scorn such things. If, on a scale of 1 to 10, a situation rating an 8 or more requires a meeting, the meeting lovers are demanding a meeting in a situation 2. They brag about how many meetings they have per day. They measure their performance quantitatively, in terms of meetings minutes. They call all this meeting stuff "having a seat at the table." Indeed, I was already sitting at my own table, and I was doing just fine, thank you.

No comments: